If you are a Canon printer user, then ‘Canon: Another computer is using the printer’ might be a common issue for you. There are several Canon printer users who have dealt with the same error. But the good news is that you can solve the issue all by yourself.
You can try to eradicate the error by restarting both the printer and the computer. Many users got benefited from this simple hack. If it doesn’t work for you, then never mind. Here you will get numerous technical and effective solutions to fix the issue.
How to Fix “Canon Another Computer is Using the Printer” Issue?
Well, if you found no result after applying the restarting process, then you must try all the upcoming fixes. The fixes are sure shot solutions to get rid of ‘Canon Another computer is using the printer’ issue.
Maybe, you don’t have to try all the fixes. If anyone of them works, then the error resolves.
Fix 1: Restart the Print Spooler
Print Spooler service is the main service responsible for all the printing jobs on your Canon printer. The Print Spooler can behave abnormally sometimes and you need to restart the services.
This fix makes sure that you get rid of the error if it is caused by the Print Spooler service. Let’s check out how to apply this effective fix to your Canon printer.
- Press and hold Win+R simultaneously until the Run box appears on the Windows.
- Fill it with ‘services.msc’ and proceed with the OK button.
- Find the service named ‘Print Spooler’ and select the service.
- You can find a Restart option on the top left screen.
The Print Spooler service must have restarted. Check if you can print using your Canon printer.
Fix 2: Perform a Power Cycle
Sometimes, your devices can show up any errors. To eliminate the error quickly, you can perform a power cycle. Suppose, you are facing Canon mx490 another computer is using the printer issue on your printer, then this fix can be effective. Just follow the guidelines below.
- Turn off all your computer, printer and wireless router.
- Remove all the power cords from both your computer and printer.
- Allow your device to rest for at least 5 minutes for all the devices.
Next, turn on all the devices including the wireless routers. Connect them and run a print test. Hopefully, it works now.
Fix 3: Update the Driver of your Printer
If your computer is up-to-date, then you might need to update the printer driver. Outdated printer drivers never cooperate with fully updated software. Go through the depicted steps below.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Win+R keys at the same time.
- Fill it out with ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press Enter. It will launch the Device Manager.
- Click on the Printers’ entry. Right-click on the printer that you are using.
- Choose the ‘Update Driver’ option.
- Go with the ‘Search automatically…’ option.
Once it detects the latest driver, you have to download and install the driver. Now, run a print test using the same Canon printer and check if the same error appears.
Fix 4: Update the Windows
The update should take place for both software. If you have updated the printer driver but not the Windows OS, then the ‘Another computer is using the printer’ error is very common. Follow the steps below to overcome this error.
- Go to the Search field in the Start menu.
- Type ‘update’ in the field and choose either ‘Windows Update’ or ‘Check for updates’ from the results.
- It will detect if there is an updated version of Windows OS. Install the update.
Lastly, you have to try printing anything using your printer. Go to later fixes if you can observe the same error message.
Fix 5: Set the Printer as the Default One
Canon printers tend to show two different printers even if you have plugged a single Canon printer. One is the normal Canon printer and the other has the same name with an extension like ‘-WS’.
Here you need to set the normal Canon printer as the default printer on your connected computer. Stick to the instructions below to accomplish the task.
For Windows 10
Those who are stuck with this error on Windows 10 platform, can easily rely on the instructions cited below.
- Go to the Windows Search box and type ‘printers’.
- Opt for the ‘Printers and Scanners’ option from the list of results.
- You need to uncheck the box next to ‘Let Windows manage my default printer’ option from the right pane.
- You need to choose the printer under the Printers and Scanners section. Next, click on the Manage button.
- Opt for the ‘Set as default’ option.
For Windows 8
The mechanism of the same process depicted above is slightly different for Windows 8 operating system. That’s why Windows 8 users are requested to go through the guidelines below.
- Go to the Start menu. Click on the Search icon from the top-left corner.
- Type ‘printers’. Choose the result named ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Then you have to right-click on the preferable printer and opt for the ‘Set as the default’ option.
For Windows 7
You need a different flow-chart of process if you are using Windows 7 as the operating system on your computer.
- Click on the Start button.
- Find out the ‘Device and Printers’ option. Click on it.
- Right-click on your printer and select the ‘Set as the default’ option.
When you have set the printer as the default one, now you can try printing something by using this printer. This should work now.
If you have found the solutions not that much effective, then you may give this little hack a try. You should scan your system using Windows Defender Firewall. It has helped many Canon users from escaping the Canon Another computer is using the printer issue. Hopefully, all the fixes have helped you to eradicate the error.